Process of Disk Partition
- Right Click on ‘My Computer / This PC‘ icon and Select ‘Manage‘.
- Click on ‘Disk Management‘ located at the bottom.
You can also directly open Disk Management with Shortcut command.
- Open Run ( Win key + R) and Type ‘diskmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
- Now select the volume you want to partition. I am partitioning my F: drive. Right click on it and select Shrink.
- Now enter the amount of space to shrink in MB and click on Shrink. For example: 50 Gb = 50000MB
You can see in the image below, you can see that 96 GB F: drive space has been reduced to approx 50 GB (highlighted in Red) and the remaining space can still be used to create another partition or extend other drive space.
Process for extending your Hard Drive
- Right click on the drive you can to extend and select ‘Extend‘.
- Enter the amount of space in MB that you want to extend and click on Next and you’re done.
I extended my F: drive easily using this method.
I performed the disk partition in Windows 8.1. You can follow the same procedures in the previous version of Windows. The best thing is that you can create new partition even from the drive with files and extend them in Windows 8.1 which was not possible in Window 7 and Window XP without using any software.
If you know other easier techniques of creating a partition, do share with us in the comments below.